Recommended Reading here is the first final design of the farm tables.
http://synthroidonline.net/ synthroid rx
this is a farm table designed to be build together with the families that are involved in the social cantine of taula amiga foundation. we think is important that people are involved with the design and building process. you know.. you make it and then it becomes part of you :)
we calculate 60 woods of 2000x100x20 per table. but before we came to this number we went to visit a sawmill. sawmills are not common this days.. like josep fontova said ” familiar sawmills are disappearing all bought by big corporations” so in practice you can not get wood from local resources and when you go to a big store you pay 6x more for the same type of wood and you don’t know where it came from. plus when you go to a sawmill you can ask wood with no treatment, that fits better to our goal of building a healthy container for our food to grow.
since we where here we took some woods to start making the prototype ;)
uau, great day today!! we took apart pallets, cut some of them on strategic places, add screws , prepare some wood wheels and you get yourself a nice farm container :) all made with recovered materials from the surroundings.
next steppes will be building some more (will be dependent of the local-analog-crowfunding-campain that we are setting up:) and then apply our automatic watering system also made with urban trash ;)
will keep you posted :p
This is my first post here since I joined in, so I’m just going to quickly mention what my involvement’s been so far.
My task is to create the vegetable planters that include a support for the watering system. The idea is to build modular planter structures that are relatively easy to construct with readily available materials, taking into account the types of materials people already have or are easily accessible without spending too much time or money.
I started thinking of individual units and after a week of rummaging through rubbish I found lots of interesting materials (plastic bottles, milk/juice cartons, fruit crates…) but nothing durable enough to withstand the weight of the structure, so I had to go back to the drawing board.
I needed something strong as a basis that could be moulded to individual needs, such as size/space/budget. I found that the best material for such a task is concrete. All that’s needed for making a planter unit with concrete is a mould and that can be done using a variety of materials – hardboard, plastic, card, bits of wood…even an old box will do.
Here are some preliminary ideas for the individual planter units.
There are two types, the end unit and the main unit that can be added on to form a module. There’s still work to be done to simplify the design, but this is the general idea.
The modules themselves can be tied with ropes or belts or supported by a wooden or a metal structure. There are numerous possibilities it all depends on the starting materials and the needs of the ‘farmer’.
Next step is to make the mould and see what works and what doesn’t. Lots of experiments to be done, so I’m off to get my hands dirty!
here is the farm. 2 meters above heads and near the WC of hangar’s media lab