with proud we present some screens from the visualizar’11 workshop :)
it were 3 amazing weeks…. 12 persons working on this project 24/24.
ok, with some beers and some parties in the middle, hehehe, as always madrid has received us like no one on the planet..
soon more new from the future develop of this tool ;)
here we are in madrid with a perfect framework for this project.
we have a big team, (12!), we have beers and tapas and it’s F. hot! they give 42º for today…
if you want to know more of what and how we are cooking here, check here the wiki of medialab_prado.
leave here some of our drafts.
After designing the seed boxes and connecting with seed banks that can help us to provide the seeds (by the way we managed to get thumbs up from Hudson Valley Seed library to be our provider soon), i went ahead and started to put some information together in a processing application that will help users to decide what to seed, how to seed and where and when to seed extra. At this point, the climate zones were very essential criteria for seeding and Maria from Barcelona group helped us out to shape the climate information to put in the application.
Here are some shots of the processing app.
Since refarm is expanding in Europe and the States, I added the language options in the interface. In addition Hernani and I did some brainstorming about what information would be needed and what criterias and variables would be added to the interface. The dimensions of the farm, the location of the farm, soil types options and etc.. were the first variables we thought that would affect the whole seeding process.
Another great feature of this one was also demonstrating “the friends and enemies” of that specific seed that the user decide to grow in his/her farm. So I added two submissions on the interface, one surrounding the main seed with friend seeds that can be added to the farm and can cultivate the farm with its nutrients and stuff and the other one surrounding this circle with enemy seeds that shouldnt be added to the farm.
However at the end we decided to combine this application with “the big brother” application that manipulates all the farming process.
one thing that was boring me a lot was the fact that I was spending too much time in front of the computer instead of being on the farm :) so I’ve built a low-budget-way to visualize the data without having to look at the computer screen. the above picture is from the “wormonster” that I made to monitor the temperature of my combox (a prototype from compostadores.com) thanks petz;)
the idea is that you make one object and have multiple data visualization. this “wormchicken” is easy to make: you print the chicken, glue it on a cardborad, print what kind of data you want to visualize, add some recycled electronics, one arduino, upload new code, connect the sensors and voilá :)
as soon as I have the code ready (programmers needed:) and the diagram of the electronics I’ll post the DIY instructions.