back home

after 3 months in ny is time to go home and prepare for the winter.

in ny I meet people very committed with finding a sustainable path and I’ve found a city were organic is trendy :) but also great work was done in this project. check out the posts of basak, andrew and the collective farms of andes and old stone house. we also had some hardware planned that didn’t came out: the new boards refarm on eyes, batteries on and refarm with sun. the programmers to develop the software tools didn’t show up to our open call at eyebeam so we have some tools that still don’t saw their daylight. like this “what to seed tool”

the truth is that my objective of making this tool universal has become obviously insane by the amount of datasets, their different protocols, availability and of course by the characteristics of our planet and your reality. for example, to determine if a vegetable is suitable for you, I must know you, your local conditions, weather, climate, seeds available, and were do you find all this resources near you. then connect this to your physical conditions, your dietary choices, plant characteristics, their life cycle and your budget ;)

so we need to changed the strategy and focus in one small set and then adapt step by step to other cities.

the winter is perfect for this kind of job were 90% is research and the other 10% is fun :)

stay in touch and if you by casuality are in madrid 4th-5th november, I’ll be a speaker at ‘Prototyping Cultures‘ at the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)

Esta entrada se publicó en new york, refarm y está etiquetada con , en por .

Acerca de hernani

is a designer and early became interested in 3 things: drawing, assemble / disassemble mechanisms and spelunking. studied analytic photography, design and graphic arts. worked as a designer in Tomar where he started his own studio. lived 3 years in Porto before went to Lisbon working on some well knowned advertising agencies. in 2006 moves to barcelona, by love. also gets involved with ecodesign and later with electronics and physical computing. was a founding partner, graphic designer, creative director and production manager. has won several awards of design, marketing and creativity. now he is a eco-designer and media artist focused on bringing the unknown beauty of nature to humans.